The Assistant Commissioner for Communications is responsible for planning and implementing all communications phases for the Conference and acting as the liaison to the NAIA communications department, member institutions’ sports information offices, the media, and the public. The position is full-time, with an anticipated start date of Sept. 1, 2023. The Assistant Commissioner for Communications works remotely within the Conference’s geographical footprint. Travel, night and weekend work is required.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Create, edit, publish and share regular content for all Conference platforms (social media channels, website) that advances and expands the AMC brand, presence and exposure and promotes its member institutions, athletic programs and student-athletes.
Oversee sports information coverage and content for Conference Championship events
Administer the Conference awards program
Assist with the development and execution of initiatives to enhance Conference championships and the student-athlete experience
Cultivate relationships with campus, local and regional communication professionals in all forms in an effort to collaboratively tell the AMC story and enhance partnerships
Maintain historical archives
Serve as the advisor of the Conference Association of Student-Athletes
Serve in a supporting role in the planning and administering of Conference championships, meetings and special events
Other duties as assigned by the commissioner (approximately 85 percent of the position’s responsibilities will be sports information-related; the remaining 15 percent will be other administrative responsibilities and duties assigned by the commissioner)
Bachelor’s degree in a related field
Experience related to intercollegiate athletics sports media relations
Strong communication, organizational, interpersonal and written skills
Prior experience utilizing social media platforms for communication and business purposes
Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, website CMS, photo and video capturing and editing
Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
Knowledge of and commitment to the five Core Values of the NAIA Champions of Character® Program
Knowledge of the Presto statistical software platform & SIDEARM website management
Experience working with an intercollegiate athletic Conference office
Candidates are asked to submit a letter of application, resume and a list of references (as PDF documents) via email to AMC Commissioner Will Wolper (email@example.com). Please include, either as links or PDF documents, a portfolio of work samples, including writing, graphic design, websites and videos. Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The American Midwest Conference (AMC) is an NAIA athletic conference with 10 member institutions in Arkansas and Missouri. The Conference, founded as the Show-Me Conference in 1986 before becoming the American Midwest Conference in 1994, sponsors championships in 16 sports (women: basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, indoor & outdoor track & field and volleyball; men: baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, indoor & outdoor track & field and wrestling).